10 Packing and Moving Supplies You Need and How to Use Them Properly
Your big moving day is coming up. You’re the type to double- and triple-check your packing and moving supplies list to ensure you have everything you will possibly need.
Maybe you’re on the other end of the spectrum and have few, if any, packing or moving supplies. You don’t know either what you need or don’t want to spend money on materials you don’t think you’ll need.
Whether you plan or procrastinate, MoveStar has compiled the following packing and moving checklist with ten items that will make your move easier.
Packing Supplies Checklist
Before you move, you’ll need to have your belongings packed. Below is a shortlist of the five essential packing supplies you’ll need:
- Cardboard boxes
- Bubble wrap
- Heavy-duty packaging tape with a tape dispenser
- Permanent markers for labeling
- Garbage bags
How to Use Packing Supplies Properly
Now that you have packing supplies, we’ll look at using them correctly to ensure your belongings make it to your new residence undamaged.
Bubble wrap comes in rolls of small or large bubbles. Some rolls are pre-serrated for easy tearing. Small bubble wrap is the most commonly used for moving and works the best in protecting fragile, delicate items.
- Bubble wrap is ideal for glass and ceramic items like glasses, dishes, and breakable knickknacks like teapots and figurines.
- When wrapping items, be sure to have the bubbles facing inwards towards the object.
- Don’t stack dishes flat, but on their sides.
- Use bubble wrapping with larger bubbles for other delicate items such as electronics, vases, and sculptures. Bubble wrap with smaller bubbles can be used for plates, glasses, and figurines.
Moving boxes come in a variety of sizes. Choosing the right box size can be tricky as you don’t want to pack too much into a small box or pay extra for a larger than needed box.
- Small boxes are easy to handle, making them ideal for carrying heavyweight items like silverware, tools, and books.
- Medium boxes are best for toys, electronics, pots and pans, lampshades, and small appliances.
- Large and extra-large boxes are great for light, bulky items such as bedding, pillows, and towels.
- Make boxes easier to handle by not over-stuffing and over-loading them. It will also be better on your back.
- Fill excess space in larger boxes with towels, tablecloths, or sheets. These items can also be used to wrap breakable items like dishes.
- To better protect your belongings, pack light items on the top and heavy items on the bottom.
Packing tape is needed to keep your boxes closed during loading, unloading, and transport. Taped boxes are easier to handle and prevent items from shifting or spilling out in the moving truck. It is best to use packing tape instead of duct tape or masking tape.
- Not all packing tape is equal. Spending more on high-quality, stickier tape will best ensure your boxes will stay sealed during the move.
- Tape along the side of the box in addition to the middle where the flaps meet. For heavy boxes, criss-cross strips of tape on the top and bottom of the box.
- Apply tape halfway down the box sides to ensure the flaps won’t pop up and open the box.
Labeling boxes with marking pens reminds you what is in each one. It will be easier to load the truck and unpack it at your new home.
- Use large-sized Sharpies for easy-to-read labeling.
- Prominently write “FRAGILE” on boxes containing delicate, breakable items.
- To avoid spilled or damaged items, draw arrows on the box indicating how it should sit and get opened.
Trash bags are handy for collecting odds and ends that don’t require careful packing.
- Use trash bags to line boxes containing shampoo, lotion, body wash, mouthwash, beverages, and other liquids that can spill.
- Trash bags make it easy to pack clothes and linens. These stuffed trash bags can also double as cushioning and filler inside boxes.
- You can use trash bags for clean-up.
Besides having all the supplies to pack your belongings, you’ll need to make sure you have the right equipment on moving day. The following five essential moving day items below will help make moving faster and easier:
- Box cutters
- Cleaning supplies and paper towels
- Bungee cords
Leave the Packing and Moving to the Professionals
Regardless of how well prepared you are for your move, moving day is quicker and smoother when you leave the packing and moving to professional movers. MoveStar Fireman Movers has provided smooth, painless, and stress-free moves for over 20 years. We are fully licensed, bonded, and insured. Our professional, trained off-duty firemen movers will treat your valuable items with the utmost care. Our movers can pack, load, transport, and unload your belongings so you can sit back and relax. After your move, we can professionally clean up your old home.
Before you get overwhelmed with the planning for your upcoming move, contact MoveStar and let us do your packing and moving for you.