What to Look for in a Moving Company
5 Easy Steps You Can Take To Help in Choosing a Moving Company
When preparing for a move, you need to consider several factors, such as figuring out logistics and gathering supplies. You can simplify the entire process by hiring professional movers in Dallas. While that might mean extra cost, you can definitely avoid the grueling and exhausting work associated with moving yourself. Moving companies, like Movestar fireman movers, won’t just take care of all the heavy lifting. They can also make sure the whole moving-day experience runs as smoothly as possible, freeing up your time to take care of other equally important moving-day tasks.
A quick online search will give you tons of moving companies as a result. But if you want to hire the best packers and movers in your area, then you need to dig a little deeper and do more research. By doing so, you’re chances of getting cheated is greatly minimized.
Here are some signs that a company is a rogue mover, according to FMCSA.
- Check their track record. There’s nothing wrong if you want to hire a new moving company, especially if you have at least a couple stellar recommendations about them. However, if that is not the case, then it’s still best to stick with the ones that have proven their competency and have been in the moving industry for many years when choosing the best movers in Dallas. It’s also much easier to find information about these established moving companies both online and offline. Movestar maintains an A+ approval rating with the BBB and a 93% five-star rating with 175 of our most recent moves.
- Make sure they have a physical office address. Criminals and scammers are everywhere, and they would use any medium to scam people. Unfortunately, that includes the moving industry. Cases of moving company fraud are not as common, but they are not unheard of. The best local movers must have an active license and physical address. A PO box is not considered as a physical address.
- Check reviews and complaints. When checking online reviews, it’s critical that you not only look at the good reviews. You should also carefully read the bad ones. This way, you’ll get an idea of what the moving company’s strengths and limitations are. You may even learn a thing or two about some important variables that you wouldn’t have otherwise known about.
- Get estimates in writing. Before you book a moving service, ask about their rates. They should give you a rate based on the extent of the job as well as the estimated number of hours and movers needed to complete it. This is typically not something that can be done over the phone without sending someone over to scope out the content of your house. However, smaller residences, such as apartments or condos may be done online or over the phone. Do keep in mind that the initial estimate may change due to several factors, such as the floor you are on, the type of piece being moved, special handling or if extra packing materials are needed. They may also potentially charge extra for packing and moving bulky and heavy objects. Be sure to clarify with them what constitutes an additional fee. And if they aren’t forthcoming with the information, then look for another moving company. Lastly, the best rated movers are not always the ones with the lowest price. You do get what you pay for.
- Verify they have an up to date license and insurance. A license and insurance are important in any business, and a moving company is no different. Anybody with a truck can easily call themselves a moving company. However, only legitimately insured and licensed companies are bound by law to protect your belongings. All North Dallas movers need to be registered with the Department of Transportation (DOT), who will then issue them a unique DOT number. You can browse through the database of the FMCSA (Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration) to check if a moving company has a valid DOT number. The rules and regulations for interstate movers may vary from state-to-state, but most states have licensing requirements.
An online search for ‘moving companies near me’ will result in several options. However, not all of them offer the same level of service. Some of them might even be rouge movers, so it’s vital that you stay vigilant. When in doubt, contact MoveStar, which is one of the top-ranked moving companies in the Dallas area.